Saturday, June 28, 2008

Get behind me Satan

When Jesus says to Peter, “get behind me, Satan,” he’s referring to
the fact that when Peter rebukes Jesus, and tells him not to go to the cross, he is taking is the same
approach that Satan had taken with Jesus during the time of temptation in the wilderness. The notion that Jesus seek to avoid the suffering and humiliation of the cross recalls Satan’s offer to Jesus in the wilderness. If Jesus were to do what Peter suggested, the entire plan of salvation would be undone. The Messiah’s mission would fail. Kim Riddlebarger

I'll (Rob) never forget in a class I took at RTS ORlando... RC Sproul reading this and saying, "Fellas, sometimes it can be the people who love you the most who tempt you to sin. Just because they don't realize doesn't mean you shouldn't realize it to."

Wow, when I think of that Sproul statement now I think of it primarily the other way round...
how often I have encouraged sin in people I care for deeply!  Lord, have mercy!

....... on another note, in thinking about this text... Peter basically says the same as Satan had said in the wilderness... All of this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want and no-one gets hurt….

No comments: